Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Great writing quotes!!

Hey everyone,
So I've been writing poems lately don't ask me why because I really have no idea why I'm actually writing poems. In any case I read a few to Josh he seems to think they're good I don't think they're that good. (The Outcasts is one of those poems.) In any case I got talking to my AWESOME AMAZING English teacher, about them and she reminded me even though I don't really like them I can always keep revising them. After all poets revise their poems like 20-50 times so keep at them. Then she gave me a quote that I just had to share!

I have spent most of the day putting in a comma and the rest of the day taking it out. — Oscar Wilde

Then I looked up some more writing quotes and here are the ones I just had to share with you!
And what does a comma do, a comma does nothing but make easy a thing that if you like it enough is easy enough without the comma. A long complicated sentence should force itself upon you, make you know yourself knowing it and the comma, well at the most a comma is a poor period that lets you stop and take a breath but if you want to take a breath you ought to know yourself that you want to take a breath. It is not like stopping altogether has something to do with going on, but taking a breath well you are always taking a breath and why emphasize one breath rather than another breath. Anyway that is the way I felt about it and I felt that about it very very strongly. And so I almost never used a comma. The longer, the more complicated the sentence the greater the number of the same kinds of words I had following one after another, the more the very more I had of them the more I felt the passionate need of their taking care of themselves by themselves and not helping them, and thereby enfeebling them by putting in a comma.
-Gertrude Stein
from Lectures in America
Don't try to figure out what other people want to hear from you; figure out what you have to say. It's the one and only thing you have to offer.
-Barbara Kingsolver
Being a good writer is 3% talent, 97% not being distracted by the Internet.
-Anonymous

So while your writing remember these quotes when you get stuck or when you're about to start writing. Well that's it. I'll talk to y'all later! bye!
~Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment